By Sanju Manjunath
In this article, we will describe the tuning parameters and how to configure Mellanox NIC cards for optimum performance with the RoCE protocols and general network traffic.
Iron Networks Products: IronPOD Family of Products, Microsoft CPS
Software: Mellanox SX1036 Switches, Mellanox NIC Cards – ConnectX 3
Tuning the network path between servers requires modifications to server BIOS, Adapter tuning parameters and configurations on the network switches. This article will describe the tuning parameters and how to configure Mellanox NIC cards for optimum performance with the RoCE protocols and general network traffic.
The network parameters are available via Control Panel or Device Manager.
- Open up Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections
- Modify both StorageA and StorageB adapters. In the IronPOD configuration some nodes have virtual Mellanox adapters. The Virtual Adapters will derive the configurations from the physical adapters.
- Right-Click the StorageB Adpater > Properties
- Click Configure
- Select the Performance Tab
- Select Dual port traffic
- Click on the “Run Tuning” button
- The tuning parameters for Dual Port will be set
- In the Advanced Tab, select Jumbo Packets
- Make the Value 4096, this will define the MTU for the Network Adapter to 4096
- In the Advanced Tab, select Receive Buffers
- Make the Value 4096
- In the Advanced Tab, select Send Buffers
- Make the Value 2048
- Click OK and save the configurations
- Repeat the process with the other physical adapter (StorageA)
- To do a performance check, we copy a large file. If the performance is sporadic or performance is poor, then this configuration will need to be reviewed or troubleshot.